Amy & Lewys
Cadhay House, Devon
Photographs by Luke Hayden Photography
Every now and then our journey takes us from the coast of Cornwall to lands far away. For example, Devon! These trips always come with excitement, a takeaway curry and a sense of responsibility as when Woodfired is required ‘up the line’ we are often asked to bring our A game and be an even bigger part of the whole circus.
When Amy and Lewys told us about their vison for a country wedding with all the trimmings we knew that our team had what it would take to pull off something truly unique.
Look, we are not talking a wedding planning, clipboard wielding, hands free headset brandishing, sort of thing! No, not that! Just a calm presence, eye for detail and a stylish way of pulling off A M A Z I N G.
Amy and Lewys’ day was set to be memorable from the start as a storm rolled in from the west bringing gale force winds and torrential rain. Not an ideal forecast for a marquee wedding but this doesn’t phase a seasoned team like ours and turning a potential negative into a huge positive is our forte.
We lit the fire pits, laid opulent tables with deer skins on benches, dripping candle sticks, and dimmed lights to create a space of pure comfort and warmth.
· Braised greens on toast with agro dolce raisons
· South Devon crab dressed beautifully with lemon and served in English lettuce hearts
· Lamb skewers, cooked shawarma style straight off the grill
· Cornish hot smoked mackerel, dill and rye bread with quick pickled cucumbers
· Bread + butter (with flaked salt) on the tables
· Beef smoked low and slow with Otter ale and burnt onions
· Veggie: Smoked mushroom, parmesan, pesto and burnt onions (min 12 serves)
· Cornish mid new potatoes crushed with salsa verde
· Burnt tomatoes with aubergines and peppers, dressed with mint and a little chili
· Figs and radicchio with aged balsamic
· Bonfire fruit with toasted almonds and caramel, chocolate and clotted cream
· Proper Hog Roast (slow smoked free range pork with hot dog onions and apple salsa)
· Roast Autumn squash with honey, hot dogs onions and apple salsa
We know we’ve done something right when we get an email like this before we’ve even recovered from our jetlag...
‘Thank you, thank you, thank you for being part of the best weekend of our lives.
Ben, you and the team were absolutely incredible and every little detail of our day was amazing. You guys thought of everything and nailed our brief. All day, everyone was raving about the food and couldn’t get enough. Of all the weddings we’ve been to, the food isn’t ever really the thing we remember. Maybe we’re biased... but at ours it was one of the best parts of the day and exactly what we had hoped for (and then some!)
Ben, thank you so much for also keeping the day flowing and our tipi looked like a magical world of fire and foliage! Really appreciate the help you gave Zoe and Stacey to keep it all going.
Massive thank you to your team as well, they were all so friendly and our guests bloody loved them. Josh and Sophie are awesome.
All the thank yous, we’re on cloud 9 and will always be your biggest fans’
Can we do it all over again?